Monday, November 7, 2011

Nanowrimo - Day Six (Exhaustion)

I stayed up too late last night.  I've been doing so good on the Nanowrimo project, I thought I deserved some downtime.  I had a couple of cocktails with Tracy and we caught up on a couple of shows on Hulu.  After Tracy went to bed, I got a strange nostalgic notion.  I wanted to watch John Rember's graduation address from my MFA program.  This led me to dig out our digital video camera.  I hooked it up to the television downstairs and began searching through old videos.

I watched my graduate presentation, at least the part that got recorded before the battery ran out of juice, and my own graduation speech.  It's still amazing to me how the ideas I struggled with then are still the ones I face now.  The main thing I walked away with was the idea of "butt in seat."  There is no substitute for it, and it is something that Nanowrimo is forcing upon me.  It's been the best thing I could have done for my writing practice.

In other concerns, I had to work today.  I'm behind in my grading and preparation and I needed to play catch up today.  I graded/prepped for five hours in the Marylhurst library.  When I got home, I was bleary eyed and exhausted.  Shea was in a great mood and I found myself dancing and playing all the way up until dinner was ready.  After dinner, Tracy was a saint and took Shea into the shower so I could get a couple minutes of rest.  I slept through snuggle time, but woke in time to kiss my daughter good night. 

Then, it was back to grading and lesson planning.  Oh, did I mention that I hadn't completed my words for the day?  Well, I hadn't.  I started around 11 pm on writing today.  It was the new chapter.  The one told from Katie's point of view and I wasn't five hundred words into it when all sorts of crazy conflicts started boiling to the surface.  She's an interesting woman, this Katie.  I'm intrigued by her and John's mother and brother are NOT fans.  The potential for conflict between the family is getting good.  I'm really excited about what Katie brings to the table.  It is now 12:30 at night and I have to be up at 6:30.  I'm off to try and get some rest.

Tomorrow, I do it again.  While it is exhausting, I look forward to it. 

Word Count: 1710
Total Word Count: 11,008
Sample Sentence/Sentences (A snippet of the dialogue between Katie and John's mother, Marilyn):


                “Is there something you need, Katie?”
                “I’m sorry.  I just...I just really wanted to see John.  I know it’s not the best day for you all, and I wanted him to know he had a friend.”
                “Is that what you two are now?  Friends?”
                “We were always friends, Marilyn.”
                “That’s not how I remember it.”

1 comment: