Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Nanowrimo - Day Twenty Nine (Validated!)

I've just finished writing for today and submitted my novel to the Nanowrimo word counter.  I've done it!  I've written 50,272 words in the month of November.  I haven't been posting on my progress because by the time I was done writing there, I didn't have the energy to come over to the blog and recount my experience.  I wrote an "ending" for the novel, which helped bring this feeling of closure to the process.  I will reflect further on my experience in the coming days, but for now I think I'm going to go have a beer and celebrate.  To those of you who have followed my journey through this process, thanks for listening in or giving encouragement through the comments or through private email/conversations.  It's helped a lot.



Word Count for the last two days: 6,408
Total Word Count: 50,272
Sample Sentence/Sentences (a little sappy out of context and TOTALLY unpolished, but it captures part of the sentiment of how John and Willy end up at the end of the novel) :

                It saddened Willy to think there was a possibility John would never add another fly to this fly box.  He fretted over his safety for a moment and tried to breathe past the anxiety this war prompted in him.  It didn’t work.  He closed the fly box and put everything away in the tackle box.  He’d never use those flies.  He’d never allow himself to touch this tackle box, but he’d carry it with him every time he went out to the Molalla Hills in the Jeep.  In this way, he’d be carrying John with him.  He’d be saving him a place by where the water tumbled past a bend in the river, and each time he caught a fish out there without him, he’d say a little prayer that would bring his friend home.

1 comment: