Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Nanowrimo - Day Twenty One (Caught Up!!!)

I didn't know if I was going to be able to catch up today, but I have been able to hammer out a couple of things that are starting to build energy. 

The organization Nanowrimo sends out little inspirational emails every couple of days to try and keep the energy going.  One of the things they said in the last email was that it is more fulfilling to skip ahead toward the end of the novel in an attempt to complete some of the "ending" before the month is over.  They say this provides more of a sense of closure on the month and that it is easy to go back and fill in the pieces rather than having an incomplete whole to work with once the month is over.

I decided to take their advice and I did some quick outlining and scene sketching in an effort to capture what it is I think I'm after for the ending.  I then skipped forward in time quite a bit and started writing some of the fallout from the events I'd detailed in the earlier parts of the month.  They were right!  It's done wonders in terms of producing energy for the material.  While all the connections are a little loose and there will obviously need to be major revamping in order to get everything to fall into place, the process is producing words.

I've gotten one full scene done today (which gave total insight into a character) and I've begun the beginning of another chapter that I think will give another one of my main characters a greater sense of purpose for the story.  These individual chapters are all starting to draw strange connections to each other and to feel like smaller parts in a larger whole.  It's exciting.

Another thing that is exciting is that I have yet to write a chapter that doesn't take a turn on me.  I begin with an idea in mind as to what my characters should be doing, but they ALWAYS wind up deciding to do something different that is weird and exciting and better than what I'd originally planned for them.  All of these detours and offshoots are starting to work together though in some strangely unconscious kind of way.  It's been a good writing day.

Word Count (Part 2): 2,483
Earlier Word Count: 2,103
Total Word Count for the Day: 4,586
Total Word Count for the Month: 35,313
Sample Sentence/Sentences:

                She got into her car, aimed her car out of the drive, and pulled out onto the road.  As she drove, she felt she was at least covering some of the distance, even if she didn’t, in the end, have a destination to drive to.

No comments:

Post a Comment