Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Nanowrimo - Day Seven and Eight

The last two days have found me exhausted and dealing with big work conflicts.  I've been writing, but the energy level has been at the lowest level so far.  On Monday, I had class and individual student conferences from 10:30 to 4:45.  The individual student conferences were in twenty minute segments and it is amazing how exhausting it is to be frank, cordial, and nurturing to 18-year old egos in that setting.  Anyway, I came home and wrote 737 words.  That was all I could imagine.  My eyes were closing on me as I was typing and the writing was uninspired.  I called it a day.

Today was much the same.  Individual student conferences, a writing workshop, and grading.  By the time I got back to my writing chair, I was, again, exhausted.  The thing that gives me hope is that it isn't that I'm short on ideas.  In fact, it is quite the opposite.  I am bursting with ideas to put on the page, but I need to get an energy reserve in place so that I can sustain my attention.  I even resorted to Red Bull today.  I'm glad I was ahead in my word count totals, so I haven't fallen behind my goal, but have rather lagged back to a barely over the expected word totals. 

Tomorrow, fewer conferences.  I hand back all of my papers and have almost no new grading to do.  Tomorrow is a writing day.  Thursday?  I work from home and should have very little in terms of grading to finish.  Writing, writing, writing is going to be the name of the game in the next few days and I hope to get my cushion of words back so that I'm not fighting the word totals on a daily basis.  Here goes nothing!!!

Word Count for both days: 1829
Total Word Count: 13,454
Sample Sentence/Sentences (forgive them, it's been a rough couple of writing days):


                [Katie's mom] asked Katie to hand her the pot roast pan from the refrigerator, which Katie did, as she got down some plates for their dinner.  When Katie set the roasting pan on the counter, her mother lifted the lid to reveal a pot roast swimming in coagulated fat.
                “Oh, gross.  I don’t know if I can eat that.”
                “Knock it off,” her mother said.  “You know it doesn’t stay like that after it is warmed.  You’ll be fine.”  Her mother took a large spoon from the utensil holder on the counter and began placing roasted vegetables on one of the plate.

1 comment: