Sunday, November 13, 2011

Nanowrimo - Day Thirteen (Waning)

So, I've been writing to my word counts the last three days.  Well, the last two days I've written.  I didn't write on Saturday but took a break to spend the entire day with my family.  There's an ebb happening in my writing right now and I have to say that it has me unsettled. 

The energy of the river scene has waned a bit and I find myself in emotionally complex territory.  I guess that is a good thing.  My characters are becoming embroiled in deeper conflicts and it is harder for me to allow my fingers to speed across the keyboard like they did in the beginning.  I have to remember what it was I wrote about them two weeks ago.  I'm stumbling against details like, "Is it October or September?"  What month did I open the novel in?  Who was the guy Katie slept with before John?" and other such details.  In trying to interweave the chapters and actually build a whole, I'm finding that I have to remember and cast back more and more.

I'm trying to put placeholders in so that I don't waste precious time in searching for bits of data as opposed to pushing the story forward, but there are times where I feel it is necessary to know in order to move forward with the rest of the plot.

This forward, forward, forward momentum is really good for some things, but the nitpicky, editor, control freak in me wants a couple of days to go back and untie some of the knots I've already found myself struggling against. 

Nope.  Not until December.  I'm good at the editor's mind.  I practice it all the time in the classes I teach.  I need to create now.  I need to create now.  I need to create now.  Forward, forward, forward.

Word Count: 3190
Total Word Count: 21,819
Sample Sentence/Sentences:  There was, honestly, nothing I wanted to share.  While I'm pushing forward, this provides me some anxiety.

No comments:

Post a Comment