Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Nanowrimo - Day Sixteen (A Quick Sprint)

I didn't write yesterday.  Word count of zero.  When I'm working like this, giving myself deadlines, it is the worst feeling.  I just couldn't get to it.  By the time I found time to do it, it was after Shea's bedtime.  I was exhausted and I went immediately to bed.

The upside?  It redoubled my passion and fervor for staying on track.  I found an hour to write when I got home from work today and I already made up yesterday's words.  I have the day working from home tomorrow and I can definitely make up the rest if I don't get to it tonight.

One thing I decided to do was to focus on "major muscle groups" as opposed to "connective tissue."  This means that allowed myself to skip ahead to the juicy parts I knew were coming.  By going where my passion was, going where I knew I wanted to write, the words came quickly.  I don't need to create a linear novel in a linear fashion.  Instead, work with the big events (the major muscle groups) and go back to the quieter moments (the connective tissue) when I have a better idea of what the book will be as a whole.  It worked tonight.  I'm going to try and keep that in mind as I move forward.

Word Count: 1895
Total Word Count: 25,512
Sample Sentence/Sentences:


                John hammered both fists into the small of Willy’s back, but Willy held his ground and kept giving sharp jabs into his ribs.  John wove his fingers together and brought the full force of his hands down into Willy’s back again.  There was an animal groan from beneath him, and Willy almost fell to a knee.  He pushed John back with both hands and straightened up.

No comments:

Post a Comment