Saturday, November 26, 2011

Nanowrimo - Day Twenty Six (Closing In)

It's 6:45 in the morning and I've already been up for two hours writing.  I went to bed early last night and I woke up at 4:15 to use the restroom.  Once I returned to bed, I couldn't get the novel out of my head.  I knew the day was going to be full with a Christmas tree run and the Civil War game, so I thought it best that I go ahead and get an early start on the book. 

I'm closing in on a deeper understanding of how all of this is working.  I have a real idea of what is going to happen within these pages.  It's a funny thing though.  When I sit down and really try and direct the novel, the writing feels uninspired, but when I simply channel the characters and allow things to unfold in front of me without so much authorial intent, the writing flows much better.  I had a mixture of styles today.  The first chapter I sat down to write came quickly and easily.  The character dictated the action of the chapter.  The last chapter I wrote today (which remains incomplete) feels too stilted and controlled to really be effective. 

While I feel like I know the ending of the book, I can't control the way my characters get there.  I'm working on "later" chapters now, trying to bring this National Novel Writing Month experiment to a close by "closing the novel," but I'm not sure any ending I could write right now would actually, in the end, serve as the true close.  There is too much early work yet to be done, and, if I don't control my characters, they could derail the trajectory with any given action. 

It was nice to get up and work in the early hours of the morning.  I knew Tracy and Shea were sleeping upstairs and that the rest of my day would be free to spend with them.  This compounds my feeling of satisfaction at getting the work done.  I have tabled the need to write for the rest of the day and now I can participate in my life without distraction.  A good start to the day.

Word Count: 3,475
Total Word Count: 43,864 (Only 6.136 more words to my end goal!)
Sample Sentence/Sentences:

                He wondered where John had gone and what was happening to him.  He pushed himself up to a crouch and the tightness around his balls threatened to tear if he stood fully upright, so he sat there with his hands on his knees taking deep breaths and visualizing the hot redness dissipating into the rest of his body.  His cock and balls were the center of his attention, which wasn’t far from how it was on any other day.
                This thought brought a fresh round of giggles shaking through the rest of his body, but each wave caused the throb in his genitals to bark at him.  He took his left hand from his knee and gently cupped himself.  Holding himself like this, he was able to finally stand upright, although the move still felt like someone was literally tearing his flesh.

No comments:

Post a Comment