Thursday, November 10, 2011

Nanowrimo - Day Nine and Ten (Yo-Yo)

I was all set to get some writing done yesterday.  I'd completed all of my individual conferences.  I'd handed back all the papers on my desk and was free from my teaching commitments for Wednesday night.  To celebrate, I stopped by my local pub and had a beer before heading home.  I chatted with the staff there and got caught up on their lives and relaxed.  When I got home, I helped Tracy get dinner ready, had some fun with Shea, ate dinner, and read Shea a couple of chapters from "James and the Giant Peach" before bedtime.  When I was done reading, Shea got up to brush her teeth and to use the restroom like she always does.

I was asleep before she ever even finished doing those things. 

Not just asleep, but ASLEEP.  Tracy tried to wake me up to wish Shea a good night, but I wouldn't wake up.  I pretty much slept all the way through until morning.  Needless to say, I didn't get any writing done that day.  That meant a word count of zero.  Nothing.  Zilch.  Nada.  It was supposed to be a night where I could catch up, but I fell even further behind in my word count.

Thank god for Thursday!  I finally had a day where I could work from home and I didn't have any grading to do.  It meant that I could focus on the novel and really commit some solid time to it. 

I'm happy to announce that I am all the way caught up and even over 200 words ahead of where I am expected to be.  I'm starting to work on getting a little bit of a cushion back.

My characters are becoming more and more defined for me on the page.  I can feel them coming to life and surprising me with some of the things they do.  There is even a storyline emerging that I didn't expect that has to do with one of the character's sexuality. 

All in all, it's been a good couple of days.  I obviously needed to sleep if my body/brain shut down like that, and now that I'm rested I was able to get a good day's writing in.  It's a good day to be me today.

Word Count: 3,445
Total Word Count: 16,899
Sample Sentence/Sentences (Really Rough):

                “Forget it,” Misty said, feeling a little sorry for him.  “Just take me home, okay?”  She flicked her cigarette as she headed for the car.  Willy watched the lit butt fly in an arc over the beach until it bounced off a rock and landed in the sand next to it.  He took a drag from his own cigarette and flicked it out onto the beach.  He had aimed for the same spot Misty’s had gone, but his careened into the darkness to the right, not even coming close.

No comments:

Post a Comment